This time, I’d like to recommend a couple of fabulous reads for advanced students.
Advanced ESL students have a lot of options in terms of reading materials. Once learners reach this level they have access to the entire gamut of English language literature.
This list includes adult-level books featuring relatively simple language. I’ve also made sure to include an array of non-fiction titles this time around.
Reading Recommendations Your Advanced Students Will Love
- The Midnight Library by Matt Haig
- The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
- The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
- Stardust by Neil Gaiman
- The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
- Lord of the Flies by William Golding
- The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
- Normal People by Sally Rooney
- Sapiens: A Graphic History by Yuval Noah Harari and David VanderMeulen
- Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
- A Really Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
- Freakonomics by Stephen J. Dubner and Steven Levitt
- Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
- Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed
- The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
- The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran
- The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo
- The Library Book by Susan Orlean
- When Time Stopped by Ariana Neumann
There are also many great reading resources on Instagram. If you're looking for a little book inspiration, make sure to check out BOOKOSIS which is run by our Motion Graphic Designer, Lula!
Now it's your turn!
If you’d like to add any of your own recommendations to this list, leave them in the comments section below. We’d love to hear which adult-level books your students have enjoyed reading!