Tina Turner was a music legend who touched the hearts of so many, including three young girls who've grown into strong women here at Ellii.
When I was a little girl, my parents played Tina Turner tapes in the car all the time (yes, cassette tapes, haha!), so, of course, I became a fan of hers too.
When I was about seven or eight years old, she was playing a concert in my city and I really wanted to go, but it sold out fast and I was so disappointed.
One day my mother and I were shopping at The Bay, and I was complaining because we couldn’t get tickets to the concert. Luckily for us, the store clerk overheard us and he just happened to be a ticket scalper. He quietly approached us and sold us four tickets to see Tina Turner. And not just tickets, but floor seats in the third or fourth row!
My parents, my friend, and I went, and I was totally mesmerized by her. She was amazing, but I was too young to appreciate what a legend she was. That was the first concert I ever went to, and it’s such a special memory that I will never forget!
I was so sad to hear about her passing.
—Alison from Ellii
I loved Tina Turner. One of my high school friends, who just recently died of cancer, used to crank Tina up in the car and sing along at the top of her lungs as she careened around mountain curves.
It's a great memory because my friend was very quiet, but Tina brought out the animal in her.
—Ann from Ellii
My first concert was the Private Dancer tour when I was 10 years old. My dad took me, and I remember her prancing around the stage in her white tank and jeans. She was incredible! My dad just passed last July, so it warms my heart to know he now has a front row seat.
—Michelle M. from Ellii
Add your own special Tina Turner memory in the comments and help us build a special tribute to the Queen of Rock & Roll.
- sell out: to sell all of the tickets to a show
- overhear: to hear other people talking in a conversation you are not involved in
- mesmerized: to be unable to stop looking at something amazing
- scalper: a person who resells tickets for more than the original cost
- crank up: to turn the sound up high
- at the top of one's lungs: very loudly
- careen: to move quickly and almost uncontrollably
- tour: a series of performances in different locations
- prance: to walk around with a dance in one's step
- tank (top): a sleeveless shirt
- passing / pass (away): death, to die
Listen to Tina Turner
This playlist features all of the music mentioned in the advanced version of Ellii's Tina Turner lesson.