It's that time of year again!
At this time, you might be thinking about writing holiday greeting cards to friends or coworkers. But as an English learner, finding the right words for a holiday card or an email can be a challenge.
In this post, we’ve compiled a list of our favorite English holiday greetings and some useful writing tips to help you add a personal touch to your holiday messages.
English holiday greetings for everyone on your list
Whether you want heart-warming messages for friends and family or more formal messages to share with your team at work, these holiday greetings are the perfect way to spread the joy this holiday season.
Holiday greetings for family or friends
The holidays are a great time to reconnect with family and friends.
Here are some ideas for English holiday-inspired messages you can send to friends or loved ones:
- “So thankful to have a friend like you at Christmas and all year long.”
- “Happy Chanukah! Wishing you love and joy during the Festival of Lights.”
- “Happy holidays to you and your loved ones!”
- “Knowing people like you makes this wonderful time of year even more meaningful.”
- “Our family is so lucky to have you in our lives. Hope you have a fabulous holiday season!”
- “Hoping you have a lovely holiday season filled with moments you’ll always remember.”
- “May the magic and the wonder of the holiday season stay with you throughout the coming year.”
Holiday greetings for colleagues or clients
As the year winds down, the holidays are the perfect time to thank your colleagues or clients for making your work a success.
Here is a list of festive greetings you could use for your coworkers or customers:
- “Hoping that 2023 brings you many wonderful opportunities!”
- “Wishing you a joyful holiday season and a successful new year!”
- “Best wishes for a new year filled with joy and spectacular success.”
- “Doing business with you is a pleasure! Hope you have a lovely Christmas.”
- “We truly appreciate your business and wish you the best in the coming year.”
- “Thanks for a great year, and we wish you all the best as you embark on 2023.”
- “Thank you for being a part of the [company name] family. Hope you have a joyous holiday and new year!”
Write your holiday-inspired messages in these printable holiday greeting cards.
5 tips for writing holiday greeting cards in English
These five writing tips are all you need to write a memorable holiday message in English.
1. Find a writing buddy
Writing holiday greetings is always more enjoyable with a friend. You can bounce ideas off each other and proofread each other’s drafts before writing the final message in your card.
2. Remember to be sensitive to people's beliefs
People might be celebrating a variety of holidays during this season. So, if you’re not certain if a colleague or acquaintance celebrates Christmas, choose a neutral greeting such as “Happy Holidays,” “Season’s Greetings,” or “Festive Wishes.” You can also ask if they have a holiday preference.
3. Keep it brief
This is especially true when writing to clients or coworkers. Try to avoid adding personal details, and keep the message short and professional.
4. Consider adding an adjective
Even if your message is short, you can make it more personable by choosing an adjective that expresses your friend’s taste or style.
For example, if your friend is a lover of food, you could say, “Wishing you a delicious holiday season!”
5. Choose an appropriate closing
Ending your message with “Love,” or “With love,” should be kept for friends and family. For colleagues and clients, “Best wishes,” or “Warm regards,” might be a better alternative.
Share your thoughts
Do you have any ideas you’d like to add to this list? Share them with us in the comments. Thanks for reading, and happy holidays!
Editor's note: This post was originally published in December 2019 and has been updated for comprehensiveness.