- Read articles on business themes: corporate responsibility, privacy, and entrepreneurship
- Learn and practice high-level business vocabulary
- Review modals of past regret
- Review how to compare and contrast
- Practice sharing information
- Express personal opinions by engaging in discussions and debates
The Reading for Business (B2–C2) Course is available in Ellii Folders. The folder includes a suggested order of business English readings at the high‑intermediate to advanced level. You can use the full lesson or just the readings. You may want to save the vocabulary review tasks for homework.
Note: The readings in this course come from various sections. Some of the lessons are from our That's News to Me section. This section is digital-only; however, the readings are available for any subscriber to assign to their students. The assessments in this course are also digital-only. If you need help using the digital platform, visit our Help Docs.
The 10 readings in this business course are divided into three themes: corporate responsibility, privacy, and entrepreneurship.
- Ships Freed from Suez Canal (digital-only): That's News to Me
- Corporate Responsibility: Business Matters
- Private Prisons: Discussion Starters
- Advertising to Children: Mini-Debates
- Privacy Labels on Apps (digital-only): That's News to Me
- Online Privacy: Mini-Debates
- Employee Tracking: Mini-Debates
- Jack Ma: Famous People
- Prince Harry: Tech Exec (digital-only): That's News to Me
- Internet Entrepreneurs: Business Matters
Within the course, there are three sections for assessment. The assessments are digital-only tasks. These include vocabulary review, writing practice, and reading comprehension tasks. The assessments are also theme-based.
- Reading for Business: Assessment A: to be used after you cover the theme of corporate responsibility (includes a new reading about two chemical disasters)
- Reading for Business: Assessment B: to be used after you cover the theme of privacy (includes a new reading about surveillance)
- Reading for Business: Assessment C: to be used after you cover the theme of entrepreneurship (includes a new reading about Elon Musk)
Optional Teacher Resources
At the bottom of the folder, you will find some optional teacher resources from the library. Assign or print out any resources that you think will be useful for teaching this business course.
- Vocabulary Cards: for students to record new vocabulary
- Reading Task Assessment Form: to record assessment of any reading tasks that you assign
- Advanced Reading Comprehension: to make personalized question sets that meet your students' needs
- The Language of Opinions: to review sentence stems (use at any time during the course)
- The Language of Sensitive Subjects: to review sentence stems (use at any time during the course)
- Teacher Evaluation Form: to help you improve your teaching for next time (use at the end of the course)