- Learn and/or review basic English expressions and continue building vocabulary. Themes include clothing, shopping, weather, and feelings.
- Introduce adverbs of frequency and imperative verbs.
- Learn the difference between the simple present and present progressive tenses.
- Introduce the simple past.
- Practice pronunciation and introduce syllables.
The following list is a suggested order for lessons at the high‑beginner level (Beg – Low Int). These materials are useful for students who are comfortable using the simple present tense and have some basic communication skills.
Unsure if this is the correct level for your students? Try Grammar Test 1 and see how your students do.
You do not need to follow this exact order or use all of these lessons. This is just a guideline for teachers who need help getting started. You can adapt the order and content based on your students’ needs and the length of your course.
You can choose additional or alternative lessons from the suggested sections below (under the More Content heading). Use the level filter marked Beg – Low Int when looking for other materials to teach at this level.
Most teachers will also be relying heavily on flashcards from the Flashcard Library at this level.
Some of the suggested lessons have digital tasks so that you can teach your students online or assign digital homework. If you need help using the digital platform, visit our Help Docs.
If you are only able to teach online at this time and you want to use a lesson that is currently only available as a PDF, you can download the Student PDF and email it to your student(s) or you can open it on a shared screen while you teach an online lesson.
- Everyday Dialogues: Making Introductions
- Grammar Practice Worksheets: Modals of Ability – Present
- Simple Sentences: Clothing
- Phonics & Pronunciation: These or Those Clothes
- Famous Things: Blue Jeans
- Grammar Practice Worksheets: Adverbs of Frequency
- Basic Grammar Sentences: How Often Do You?
- Functional English: Giving a Warning
- Grammar Practice Worksheets: Imperative Verbs
- Functional English: Following Instructions
- Grammar Practice Worksheets: Simple Present Vs. Present Progressive
- Grammar Stories: Simple Present Vs. Present Progressive
- Everyday Dialogues: Going Shopping
- Listening: Retail Shopping
- Famous Things: Neckties
- Basic Grammar Sentences: What Time Is It?
- Functional English: Asking for the Time
- Grammar Practice Worksheets: Prepositions of Time
- Simple Sentences: Weather
- Functional English: Talking about the Weather
- Writing in English: How to Write a Simple Sentence
- Grammar Practice Worksheets: Pronouns 1
- Simple Sentences: Feelings
- Grammar Stories: Simple Past
- Functional English: Congratulating
- Basic Grammar Sentences: Simple Past – Past Irregular
- Phonics & Pronunciation: /i/ and/or /ɪ/
- Phonics & Pronunciation: Syllables 1
Suggested Ellii sections for teaching high‑beginner learners
(use Beg – Low Int filters)